Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Knowing Limits


Thank G-d, everyone is healthy and well. Before we could get various tests done, Tzviel and Tehilla both quickly returned to themselves and are doing much better.

Tehilla also went for her 5th and last RSV shot for this winter season. Hurray! We'll see where she is health-wise next year, if we want to submit a request for her to receive them again.

Today, I was reminded that Tehilla has half a heart, and ridiculously enough, it took me by surprise. Tehilla and I went first thing in the morning to the post office to pick up a package. On our way out of the post office, I put Tehilla down and let her walk up the sidewalk, while holding my hand. She giggled and enjoyed just walking about. After walking about 4 meters (13 feet) on a very slight uphill incline, she suddenly became very out of breath. I immediately noticed the change in her breathing pattern and it took me off guard. Before I had even a moment to process it, Tehilla let go of my hand, made her way over to one of the storefront windows, leaned on it for support and sat down. Then it hit me. Wow, this was all the energy that she could spend.

What amazed me even more, was watching her know her own limits and knowing when to sit down. It was sad to see her struggle to do something like that, but in other ways I felt a sigh of relief knowing that in this small way, she knows how to care for herself.

Tomorrow, she has her follow-up physical therapy appointment. I will definitely bring up with them what I saw today and see if there are ways they can help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment